... because I finished my Beatnik sweater and it is pretty cool, though I wasn't at all the nonconformist the name suggests when knitting it. Yep, I actually stuck with the pattern in every way except that I knit the body in the round up to the arms. Not that I didn't try to alter things.
The Sweatshop of Love's example and knitting mine in the round to the armholes, I tried picking up stitches and using Wendy Bernard's "Afterthought Sleeves" instructions to knit seamless sleeves. However, they started looking weird and bulbous, so I ripped them out. It could be that I picked up too many stitches, or that I was using the wrong type of moss stitch on them.
little technique of fixing stitches further back in my knitting. It also gave me a reason to appreciate the simplicity of all the twist rib and moss stitch I had to do afterward.
Norah Gaughan was British, I don't know, but anyway, the moss stitch up the sides of the sweater is English and that of the arms is American (what the pattern intended.)
When looking at the British version from the right side of the fabric, it is k1, p1 all the way across one row followed by the opposite for the next row. This is repeated over and over. When viewing The American version from the right side, it is 2 rows of k1,p1 across followed by 2 rows of the opposite (p1,k1.) It was so much more substantial and smoother in appearance, as in the image below.
Since I was knitting the sleeves separately, I went ahead and knit two at once on the same straight needles, a technique I've never done before due to my fondness for seamless sleeves. This made the end of the sweater more portable. I could just take two sleeves with me in the car instead of lugging the whole thing and turning the sweater a jillion times like I would if I were knitting them in the round, seamlessly. And though I hate hate hated seaming them onto the body, I have to admit the seams look nice.
What I love about this, besides the obviously cool retro styling, is all the great texture going on here: complex cabling, moss stitch arms, twisted rib edging. I also love how the boatneck collar stands up when folded under and whip stitched. Not only that, but it was made with less expensive Lion Brand wool ease that was on sale. We're talking $15 worth of yarn here. I wouldn't normally have had the courage to try something this complex on wool/acrylic yarn, but the pattern actually called for just such a blend (Remix.)
Kind of like the abundance of photos in this post. I mean I want to show what it actually looks like when worn, but then I wanted to play with my 50mm on close ups of the details...