I did something today that I consider a very desperate, and slightly tacky, move. I tied scraps, lots and lots of little yarn scraps and clipped yarn ends, together to make about two yards of knotted yarn to use for binding off my Bernadette cardigan. Argh. Knots are the worst, but I wasn't about to spit splice 20 pieces of yarn together. Who wants a row and a half of that?
And this was discontinued Gynx organic merino Aran. I was thrilled to get a sweater's worth of it when it was on sale. But there was no more to order if I ran out, so I really had to work to get a sweater out of it.
The photo above was taken before I added the button bands and collar. The way they were added determined how I handled my yarn shortage. Normally, I would've just picked out the bind off edge and removed a couple of rows worth of yarn from the bottom ribbing to have enough for my last two collar rows. Only, I'd already attached my button band to the very bottom edge of this ribbing on both sides. Then, the collar was attached to the tops of these button bands. So to get to the yarn at the bind off edge of this sweater, I'd have to rip out the collar, both button bands, the bind off edge, and then pick up all of those stitches again. Picking up stitches is enough Greek mythology-type torment in itself. So I could either be all perfectionist over it, because of my hate for knots, or just suck it up and start tying. I tied.
The pattern called for 500 yards of Aran to get a 33" size. The goal is at least 2" of negative ease, so that size will work well for me. Somehow it took all of my 543 yards of my yarn. I ended up reducing the ribbing at the sleeves by two rounds on each one and my bind off is a bit tight along the sides of the neckline, but I think I can still get a lot of length when blocking. There are lots of stubby yarn ends hanging from the inside of my sweater that I'll have to deal with, but I'm very thankful that the fit seems fine. It's only slightly snug, which I was prepared for after blocking my swatch. (Yeah, I swatched. See, I'm classy about some things.) It should fit perfect in a few days. Now, for buttons. I may have enough odds and ends buttons in my cabinet to work for this, but I'm thinking vintage navy ones would look especially cool. However, this would involve ordering and patience, or making a trek to a hobby store. I am a lazy, knot-tying kind of girl, so...