I finished the sleeves, two at a time, then I steam-blocked the lace body to make it wearable before we left. That left picking up stitches for the ribbed neckline on the drive. My hope was to start Veera Välimäki's Twenty Ten and get partway through before attending her classes.
It's good that I had a seven hour drive ahead of me. I re-did the neckline several times and still feel like it's a bit high, though the fit in the arms is awesome. Amy Herzog's Craftsy course has me totally paranoid of tops that give you a low bust. The clinical term is LowBustphobia, or maybe that's the hashtag, I can't remember. I can't help but like this higher crew neck. It makes me think of raglan t-shirts I wore in my early twenties and teens. It also came out very similar to Isabel's sweater, which I emulated with my modifications.
One caveat: I haven't actually done a true wet blocking on this. It may be loose when I'm done and that may make a difference. But I'll think about that tomorrow. Lets look at pictures of it while it fits perfectly, shall we?
I used a good basic yarn I've never tried before, Valley Yarns Northampton. I found it comparable to Wool of the Andes or Patons Classic in the way it knit up. I can see using this for sweater quantities in the future, especially when it's on sale.
I got gauge with a size 3 needle. I'm still using only bamboo circulars, since realizing it helps me keep a consistent gauge, plus I opted for the much looser English knitting style, since it's second nature to me. I needed no added distractions while working this heavily patterned pullover.
I wish I had a before and after of the steam blocking process. I think my husband wondered why I stayed up so late to finish knitting a drab, olive mess. That is, until he saw it blocked. That earned an audible "Wow!" I was a miracle worker... a tired, obsessive miracle worker.